30 Aug 2026

Clicks, Choices and Consequences: A Reflection on Digital Citizenship

 

M.A. ENGLISH • SEC–1 • THINKING ACTIVITY

From Digital Awareness
to Responsible Citizenship

Watch • Reflect • Question • Apply

SOCIAL MEDIA AND STUDENTS

Paper
M.A. English – SEC-1
University
MKBU
Activity
Watch, Reflect and Write
Assigned by
Prof. Dr. Dilip Barad Sir
01 — INTRODUCTION

More Than Watching Videos

As a part of the M.A. English – SEC-1 paper, “Social Media and Students,” I was assigned this Thinking Activity, “Watch, Reflect and Write,” by Prof. Dr. Dilip Barad Sir.

The purpose of this activity is not simply to watch videos and write their summaries. It encourages students to understand, reflect, question, evaluate and connect digital issues with real-life situations.

The activity brings together five different aspects of digital life: online harassment, digital footprints, the economics of creativity, distracted driving and social-media addiction.



ACADEMIC CONNECTION

From Digital Skills to Digital Citizenship

The accompanying academic material presents this activity as a form of digital skilling and reflective learning. Its larger purpose is to help students move beyond passive consumption of social media and develop critical, ethical, self-aware and responsible digital behaviour.

THE QUESTION BEHIND THE ACTIVITY

“Am I controlling technology,
or is technology controlling me?”

This question became the starting point of my reflection throughout the five videos.

THE FIVE DIRECTIONS OF REFLECTION

Five Videos • Five Digital Questions

01

Online Harassment

How should we respond to harmful behaviour online?

02

Digital Footprint

What does the internet remember about us?

03

Creativity & Money

What happens when creativity enters the digital economy?

04

Digital Distraction

Can a few seconds of distraction change a life?

05

Social Media & Addiction

Who controls our attention?

MY STARTING POINT

For me, this activity became an opportunity not only to understand the five videos, but also to examine my own attention, choices, online behaviour and responsibilities.

VIDEO 01 • DIGITAL ETHICS

The Problem with “Don't Feed the Trolls”

Steph Guthrie • TEDxToronto

When online behaviour becomes harmful, is silence really the best response?


About the Video

The Problem with “Don't Feed the Trolls” is a talk by Steph Guthrie presented at TEDxToronto. The talk examines online trolling, harassment, misogyny and the responsibility of people who witness harmful behaviour on digital platforms.

The common advice “don't feed the trolls” suggests that ignoring provocation is the best way to deal with online abuse. Guthrie questions this idea when online behaviour becomes serious harassment rather than simple internet provocation.

THE IDEA I TOOK FROM THE VIDEO

From Online Provocation to Digital Responsibility

01
PROVOCATION

A harmful or provocative post

02
REACTION

People respond, share or remain silent

03
CONSEQUENCE

Harm can become normalised

04
RESPONSIBILITY

Support • Report • Respond

A Simple Example

HARMFUL RESPONSE

“You are stupid. Shut up.”

RESPONSIBLE RESPONSE

“I disagree with your opinion because I understand the issue differently.”

Think About

Question My Reflection
What is an online troll? A person who deliberately posts provocative, offensive or harmful content to disturb or provoke others.
Why can ignoring trolls be inadequate? Ignoring minor provocation may sometimes help, but serious harassment should not simply be normalised.
What is a bystander's responsibility? A bystander should not encourage harassment and can support the person being targeted or report serious abuse.
How should we disagree online? We should criticise ideas rather than attack people personally.


MY REFLECTION

Silence Is Not Always the Answer

The video made me realise that being a responsible social-media user is not only about controlling my own posts. It is also about how I behave when I see someone else being treated unfairly.

For example, if I see a person being unnecessarily humiliated online, I should not like or share the abusive content simply because it is receiving attention.

Critical Response

I agree with Guthrie's central message, but I also believe that intervention should be safe and thoughtful. Direct confrontation is not always the best solution. In serious situations, reporting, blocking and supporting the targeted person may be more effective.

LIFELONG MESSAGE

“Do not become part of the problem when you can become part of the solution.”

My personal takeaway from Steph Guthrie's talk

02
THINK • REFLECT • QUESTION

Your Online Life,
Permanent as a Tattoo

If the internet remembers what we forget, what does it remember about us?

JUAN ENRIQUEZ • TED2013 • DIGITAL FOOTPRINT • PRIVACY • IDENTITY

WATCH THE TALK
THE CENTRAL IDEA

A Tattoo Without Ink

Juan Enriquez describes our digital presence through the powerful metaphor of an “electronic tattoo.” Our photographs, searches, comments, locations and online interactions can contribute to an identity that remains visible long after the original moment has passed.

The idea is especially important for students because our online presence can become part of how others understand us academically, socially and professionally.

THE DIGITAL TATTOO

Every trace becomes part of a story.

The digital self is not created by one post. It is gradually assembled from many small traces.

POST
SEARCH
SHARE
INTERACT
DIGITAL IDENTITY
ANCIENT GREECE × DIGITAL CULTURE

Four Myths. Four Modern Warnings.


Enriquez brings ancient Greek stories into a contemporary discussion of identity, memory, distraction and self-image. 

01 • MEMORY

Sisyphus

His endless repetition becomes a metaphor for the continuing effort of managing a digital reputation.

DIGITAL QUESTION
Can an old digital mistake ever truly stop following us?
02 • THE PAST

Orpheus

His backward glance offers a way to think about our fascination with the digital histories of ourselves and others.

DIGITAL QUESTION
How much of someone's past should remain searchable?
03 • ATTENTION

Atalanta

The golden apples become a memorable metaphor for the small digital distractions that pull us away from important goals.

DIGITAL QUESTION
What notification is stealing my attention right now?
04 • SELF-IMAGE

Narcissus

His fascination with his own reflection offers a powerful parallel with online image, likes and self-presentation.

DIGITAL QUESTION
Am I expressing myself, or performing myself?
FROM MYTH TO MEDIA

The Meaning Changes — The Human Problem Remains

SISYPHUS
Endless repetition
Managing the consequences of a digital past
ORPHEUS
Looking back
Digital memory and the searchable past
ATALANTA
Distraction
Notifications, scrolling and divided attention
NARCISSUS
Reflection
Likes, followers and the construction of online identity
IDENTITY MAP

How the Digital Self Takes Shape

DIGITAL
IDENTITY
WHAT I POST
Images • words • opinions
WHAT I SEARCH
Interests • questions
HOW I INTERACT
Likes • comments • shares
WHERE I APPEAR
Profiles • platforms • communities
CONNECTING THE VIDEO WITH RESEARCH

Why Digital Footprints Matter for Students

Research on students and digital footprints shows that managing an online presence is not only a personal issue. It can also affect privacy, identity, learning and future professional opportunities. 2

This makes Enriquez's metaphor of the “electronic tattoo” especially relevant to students: our digital identity can become part of how we are perceived beyond the immediate moment in which something is posted.

BEFORE WATCHING

A Post Is a Moment

I may think of a post as something temporary — something connected only with the present moment.

AFTER WATCHING

A Post Is a Trace

Now I see a post as something that may become part of a larger digital identity and future reputation.

STOP • THINK • REFLECT

Would I Still Post It Tomorrow?

“Would I be comfortable seeing this post five or ten years from now?”

PERSONAL REFLECTION

My Digital Tattoo

Before watching this video, I did not always think deeply about how long a social-media post might remain available.

The video made me realise that the internet may remember longer than I expect. I therefore want to become more conscious of the photographs, comments and opinions I share.

For me, responsible digital citizenship begins with a simple habit: pause before posting.

MY DIGITAL CHECKPOINT

Before I Post

01
IS IT TRUE?
02
IS IT RESPONSIBLE?
03
COULD IT HURT SOMEONE?
04
WOULD I POST IT AGAIN IN FIVE YEARS?
THINKING ACTIVITY • VIDEO 03

The Truth About Money in Music

When creativity becomes a profession, art meets economics.

CREATIVITY • MUSIC • DIGITAL ECONOMY • INCOME • ARTISTIC IDENTITY

WATCH THE VIDEO

The Truth About Money in Music

 
FIRST IMPRESSION

What Is the Video Really Saying?

The documentary challenges the simple idea that a successful musician automatically earns a comfortable living. Behind music that reaches an audience, there are many expenses, people and economic decisions.

Musicians may earn through performances, touring, licensing, production, streaming and brand partnerships. Therefore, creativity may be the beginning of a career, but it is not always the whole economic structure.

THE MUSIC ECONOMY

From Creativity to Livelihood

CREATION

Song • Composition • Performance

AUDIENCE

Listeners • Fans • Communities

REVENUE

Shows • Licensing • Streaming

SUSTAINABILITY

Career • Independence • Growth

WHERE CAN MUSICIANS EARN?

A Multi-Source Creative Career

🎤

Live Performance

Concerts, events and performances can become important sources of income.

Licensing

Music can generate income when it is licensed for different uses.

Production

Artists may also work as producers, composers or collaborators.

Brand Partnerships

Collaborations with brands can create another source of revenue.

THE ECONOMIC REALITY

Why “Success” Does Not Always Mean Profit

Audience Reach
Creative Visibility
Gross Revenue
Actual Take-Home Income

THE HIDDEN CALCULATION

A Band Is More Than Its Music

The documentary points towards an important economic reality: when several musicians depend on music as their livelihood, the amount of money generated by the band must cover much more than the musicians' personal earnings.

ARTISTS
Members & collaborators
TRAVEL
Touring & transportation
PRODUCTION
Equipment & recording
INDUSTRY
Commissions & management
REVENUE ≠ PERSONAL INCOME
Expenses and professional costs exist between the two.
CREATIVITY VS COMMERCE

Two Sides of a Creative Career

CREATIVE SIDE ECONOMIC SIDE
Originality Income strategy
Artistic expression Audience development
Experimentation Market decisions
Creative identity Financial sustainability
THE BIG IDEA

Talent Is the Beginning — Not the Entire Career

The digital age has made it easier for artists to reach audiences, but reaching people and earning a sustainable income are different challenges. A creative career requires talent, consistency, audience connection, professional knowledge and financial awareness.

MY REFLECTION

When Creativity Meets Money

As someone who enjoys singing, I found this video personally interesting. It made me understand that enjoying a creative activity and making a profession from it are two different things.

Talent is important, but professional knowledge, financial planning and understanding the industry are also necessary.

Creativity should create opportunities without losing the identity of the creator.
CRITICAL RESPONSE

Does Money Destroy Creativity?

I do not think that every brand sponsorship means an artist has “sold out.” A partnership can be beneficial when it supports the artist while allowing creative freedom.

THE BALANCE

Art + Sustainability

The real challenge is to earn from creativity without allowing commercial pressure to completely control the creative identity of the artist.

PRACTICAL APPLICATION

What Can Students Learn From This?

CREATE
Develop your skill.
LEARN
Understand your field.
PLAN
Think about sustainability.
PROTECT
Protect your creative identity.
LIFELONG MESSAGE

“Value your creativity, but never lose your creative identity for money.”

I chose this message because creative success should not be measured only by financial gain. Creativity also carries personal identity, expression and meaning.

The digital economy can change how creativity is distributed and monetised — but the question remains: How can creators earn without losing what makes their work their own?

POINT TO PONDER • VIDEO 04

From One Second to the Next

When a few seconds of distraction can change an entire life.

WERNER HERZOG • DISTRACTED DRIVING • TECHNOLOGY • RESPONSIBILITY


WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY

The Power of One Second

IMAGE SPACE
You can add an image related to distracted driving, mobile phones or road safety here.
UNDERSTANDING THE DOCUMENTARY

A Message Meant to Shock Us into Responsibility

From One Second to the Next, directed by Werner Herzog, shows the devastating consequences of texting while driving.

Instead of presenting distracted driving only through statistics, the documentary tells the stories of real people whose lives were changed because a driver looked at a phone for only a few seconds.

For me, the strongest message is simple: a message can wait, but a human life cannot.

THE ONE-SECOND EFFECT

A Tiny Distraction → A Lifetime of Consequences

PHONE
Notification / text
ATTENTION
Eyes leave the road
COLLISION
One moment
CONSEQUENCES
Permanent impact
FOUR HUMAN STORIES

The Human Cost Behind the Message

STORY 01

Xavier

An eight-year-old boy was struck by a driver who was texting. The accident caused severe spinal-cord damage and permanently changed his life.

Lesson: A few seconds can permanently alter someone else's future.
STORY 02

Chandler

While texting while driving, Chandler collided with an Amish buggy. Three people were killed in the crash.

Lesson: Digital distraction can affect innocent people who have no connection with the driver's decision.
STORY 03

Debbie

Debbie suffered severe injuries after being struck by a teenager who was texting while driving. Her health and independence were deeply affected.

Lesson: The consequences of distraction can continue long after the accident.
STORY 04

Reggie

Reggie's distracted driving contributed to a crash that killed two young men. He later faced the emotional burden of guilt and responsibility.

Lesson: Responsibility does not end when the accident ends.
THE PATTERN

From Distraction to Aftermath

01
MESSAGE
02
DISTRACTION
03
ACCIDENT
04
AFTERMATH

The documentary makes this sequence painfully human rather than merely theoretical.

A SIMPLE COMPARISON

Two Choices, Two Directions

DIGITAL DISTRACTION RESPONSIBLE CHOICE
Check the notification immediately Wait until reaching a safe place
Believe “it will only take a second” Recognise that every second matters
Put the phone before the road Put human safety first
React immediately Respond only when it is safe
RESPONSIBILITY CHECK

Where Should Our Attention Be?

ROAD
100% attention while driving
PHONE
No texting or checking notifications while driving
THINK ABOUT

Questions Raised by the Documentary

  1. Why do people continue texting while driving even when they know the risks?
  2. What can happen because of a distraction lasting only a few seconds?
  3. How does constant connectivity affect our ability to concentrate?
  4. What responsibilities do drivers and passengers have?
MY REFLECTION

One Second Can Change a Life

The documentary made me think about how strongly we depend on our phones. Sometimes we feel that every message requires an immediate response.

But after seeing the stories in the documentary, I realised that no message is important enough to risk another person's life.

The story of Megan and Reggie also taught me something beyond road safety. It showed the difficult possibility of taking responsibility, facing guilt and eventually moving towards forgiveness.

PRACTICAL APPLICATION

My Rule for the Road

I will never text or check messages while driving. If I am travelling with someone who is driving, I can also help by handling their phone when necessary.

“Road first. Phone second.”

LIFELONG MESSAGE

“No text message is worth risking a human life.”

I have selected this message because a message can wait, but a human life cannot be brought back.

VIDEO 05 • DIGITAL WELL-BEING

How Social Media Destroys Your Life?

Science Behind Addiction — Dhruv Rathee

🎥 Watch the Video



ABOUT THE VIDEO

Understanding Social-Media Addiction

The video examines social-media habits, attention, addiction, algorithms and digital well-being. It explains why we repeatedly check our phones even when we do not have a specific reason to do so.

It discusses dopamine, anticipation, quick rewards, easy access, infinite scrolling, notifications and personalised recommendations.

CORE CONCEPT

The Dopamine–Reward Loop

A simple visual model of how notifications and digital rewards can encourage repeated checking.

01
TRIGGER
A notification, message or alert appears.
02
ANTICIPATION
“Who messaged me?” “What happened?”
03
ACTION
We pick up the phone, open the app and scroll.
04
REWARD
A like, message, interesting video or new content appears.
05
REPEAT
The next trigger appears and the cycle begins again.
The cycle can repeat again and again
Why is dopamine important here?

Dopamine is involved in motivation, anticipation and reward learning. The important point is not simply that social media “creates pleasure”; rather, notifications and unpredictable rewards can encourage us to keep checking for what might come next.

Trigger → Anticipation → Action → Reward → Repeat
A simplified conceptual representation of repeated digital checking.
WHY DOES IT HAPPEN?

Why Do We Keep Checking Our Phones?

When a phone produces a notification, we may immediately become curious about what is waiting for us. That anticipation can motivate us to check the device.

🔔
“Who messaged me?”
❤️
“Who liked my post?”
“What happened?”
ANCIENT METAPHOR → MODERN DIGITAL LIFE

From Golden Apples to Endless Feeds

The video connects modern digital behaviour with ideas that can be understood through ancient stories. Atalanta's golden apples provide a memorable metaphor for distraction: something small can capture attention and pull us away from our original goal.

🍎

ATALANTA

Golden apples distracted Atalanta from her path.

📱

DIGITAL DISTRACTION

Notifications, short videos and endless feeds can compete for our attention today.

Digital lesson: The technology changes, but the struggle for attention remains.
THE ATTENTION ECONOMY

Five Digital Features That Compete for Attention

🔔
NOTIFICATIONS

Bring our attention back.

♾️
INFINITE SCROLL

Removes a clear stopping point.

🎯
ALGORITHMS

Recommend personalised content.

❤️
SOCIAL REWARDS

Likes and comments create feedback.

🎬
SHORT VIDEOS

Provide rapidly changing stimulation.

THINK ABOUT

Questions Raised by the Video

Question My Reflection
Why do social-media platforms encourage prolonged engagement? Quick rewards, notifications and personalised content can encourage repeated checking.
How can excessive social-media use affect attention? Constant interruptions can make sustained concentration more difficult.
What is useful use? Using technology with a clear purpose, such as learning or communicating about an assignment.
What is compulsive use? Opening an app repeatedly without a clear purpose and losing track of time.

Purposeful Use vs Automatic Use

The difference is not simply how much technology we use, but whether we are using it intentionally.

PURPOSEFUL USE
AUTOMATIC USE
Watching an educational lecture
Scrolling because I am bored
Checking an assignment message
Repeatedly checking notifications
Creating meaningful content
Losing track of time
Using an app for a clear purpose
Opening an app automatically
PERSONAL REFLECTION

When the Phone Starts Controlling Us

I can relate to this very easily. Sometimes I open my phone to check one message. Then I see another notification, open social media, watch a short video and continue scrolling.

I may initially intend to spend only a few minutes, but suddenly much more time has passed.

WHAT I AGREE WITH

Technology Can Shape Attention

Digital platforms can encourage repeated engagement through notifications, personalised feeds and quick rewards.

MY CRITICAL VIEW

Social Media Is Not Completely Bad

Social media can help students learn, communicate, discover opportunities and express creativity. The problem begins when intentional use becomes automatic use.


MY DIGITAL CODE

My Five Personal Rules for Responsible Digital Citizenship

The five rules I want to carry forward from this Thinking Activity.

RULE
01
💭

Think Before I Post

Before posting anything, I will think about its possible consequences. A post may take only a few seconds to create, but its impact can last much longer.

RULE
02
🚗

Safety Before the Screen

I will never use my phone while driving. A message, call or notification can wait, but a human life cannot.

RULE
03

My Attention Is My Responsibility

I will control unnecessary scrolling instead of allowing social media to control my time. My attention is valuable, so I should choose where I give it.

RULE
04
🤝

Respect Before I React

I will disagree with ideas without attacking or insulting people. Even when I disagree, I can communicate with respect.

RULE
05
🔐

Protect Before I Share

I will protect my privacy and remember that my digital footprint can become part of my future identity.

My Digital Code at a Glance

Rule My Principle What I Will Do
01 Think Before I Post Consider the consequences.
02 Safety Before the Screen Never use my phone while driving.
03 My Attention Is My Responsibility Reduce unnecessary scrolling.
04 Respect Before I React Disagree without becoming abusive.
05 Protect Before I Share Protect privacy and digital identity.
MY COMMITMENT

“I want to use technology as a tool for learning, creativity and connection — not as something that controls me.”

A personal promise after completing this Thinking 
FROM PRINCIPLES TO PRACTICE

These five rules are not only ideas for this activity. They are principles I want to carry into my everyday digital life.


References

Barad, Dilip. “Social Media and Students.” Blog of Prof. Dilip Barad, 23 August 2026.
https://blog.dilipbarad.com/2026/08/social-media-and-students.html

“Social Media and Students.” ResearchGate.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/413541209_Social_Media_and_Students

Guthrie, Steph. “The Problem with ‘Don't Feed the Trolls’.” TEDxToronto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KHEkR5yb9A

Enriquez, Juan. “Your Online Life, Permanent as a Tattoo.” TED2013.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu1C-oBdsMM

The Truth About Money in Music. graetzmedia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZwvTVFMSds

Herzog, Werner. From One Second to the Next — Texting While Driving Documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1vCqfYpos

Rathee, Dhruv. How Social Media Destroys Your Life? — Science Behind Addiction.
https://youtu.be/bJj8XEw-zCg

No comments:

Post a Comment