28 Aug 2026

Between Rules and Freedom: A Critical Reading of John Dryden’s An Essay of Dramatic Poesy


JOHN DRYDEN • LITERARY CRITICISM

Between Classical Rules
and English Freedom

                       

A Critical Reading of John Dryden's An Essay of Dramatic Poesy


INTRODUCTION

Reading Dryden Through Four Critical Questions

As part of my study of John Dryden's An Essay of Dramatic Poesy, I explored the ideas presented in Prof. Dr. Dilip Barad's learning resources and selected two questions from the given critical task for detailed reflection. These questions encouraged me to move beyond simply summarising Dryden's arguments and to develop my own critical understanding of drama, literary rules, artistic freedom, and poetic language.

In this blog, I focus especially on the relationship between classical tradition and English dramatic freedom. I examine how Dryden's definition of a play differs from Aristotle's definition of tragedy, and I consider the debate between the Ancients and the Moderns. I also reflect on the contrast between French and English dramatic practice and the controversy surrounding rhyme and blank verse.

The video lectures and the accompanying material helped me see Dryden not simply as a critic who follows classical rules, but as a critic who negotiates between tradition, experience, reason, and creative freedom. I also connect Dryden's ideas with Sir Philip Sidney's understanding of poetry as an art that can both teach and delight.

MY CRITICAL FOCUS

Classical Discipline + English Imagination = Dryden's Critical Balance

THE FOUR QUESTIONS

My Critical Roadmap

๐Ÿ›️
01

Aristotle vs Dryden

How does Aristotle's tragedy differ from Dryden's definition of a play?

⚖️
02

Ancients vs Moderns

Which tradition do I personally prefer, and why?

๐ŸŽญ
03

French vs English

Are the arguments supporting French drama convincing?

✒️
04

Poetic vs Prosaic

What kind of dramatic dialogue do I prefer?

FOUR QUESTIONS → FOUR DEBATES → ONE CRITICAL RESPONSE

Aristotle and Dryden: A Comparative Chart

Aristotle Point of Comparison Dryden
Tragedy Focus Play / Drama
Serious action Representation Human nature
Pity and fear Emotional effect Passions and humours
Catharsis Purpose Delight and instruction

Dryden's Critical Triangle

His criticism develops through the interaction of three forces:

CLASSICAL TRADITION
CLASSICAL 

RULES

Aristotle • Order • Decorum • Unity

ENGLISH 

FREEDOM

Shakespeare • Variety • Imagination

CRITICAL REASON

Dryden tests literary rules against actual dramatic practice.

Ancients or Moderns?

ANCIENTS Order
Rules
Classical models
MODERNS Freedom
Variety
Human experience
MY CHOICE Moderns

I prefer the Moderns because their greater freedom allows drama to represent the complexity and variety of human experience. However, I do not reject classical discipline; I find the combination of order and freedom more productive.

French and English Drama

French Drama English Drama
Greater regularity Greater freedom
Strong concern for decorum More imaginative stage practice
Avoidance of certain violent actions More direct dramatic action
Separation of tragic and comic elements Mixture of tragedy and comedy
Tighter structure Multiple plots and wider variety
MY VIEW: I RESPECT FRENCH ORDER, BUT PREFER ENGLISH DRAMATIC FREEDOM.

From Sidney to Dryden

A Connection Between Renaissance and Neoclassical Criticism

SIDNEY

Imitation
Imagination
Teach & Delight
Golden World

DRYDEN

Drama
Human Nature
Rules & Practice
Delight & Instruction

COMMON GROUND

Literature should offer more than mere entertainment.

Rhyme or Blank Verse?

๐ŸŽต

RHYME

Elevation
Musicality
Formal pattern

๐Ÿ’ฌ

BLANK VERSE

Natural rhythm
Flexibility
Dramatic speech

MY PREFERENCE

Blank verse for serious drama, while recognising that rhyme can create special poetic and dramatic effects.

REFERENCES

Works Cited

Barad, Dilip. “Dryden's Essay: Of Dramatic Poesie: Short Video Lectures and Quiz.” Dilip Barad's Blog, 16 Sept. 2015. https://blog.dilipbarad.com/2015/09/drydens-essay-on-dramatic-poesy-short.html .

Barad, Dilip. “An Essay on Dramatic Poesy: John Dryden.” ResearchGate, June 2012. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/373767836_An_Essay_on_Dramatic_Poesy_John_Dryden .

Dryden, John. An Essay of Dramatic Poesy. 1668.

Barad, Dilip. Sir Philip Sidney's Defence of Poesie. SlideShare presentation, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment